Thursday 7 April 2011

Rochester Walking Tour

Charles Dickens
Sunday, I had my first solo tour of Rochester with a lovely group of American students and their tutors. They were concentrating on Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations", and so I was able to tailor their tour to include many of the buildings that Dickens wrote about.

2011 is the 150th anniversary of the publication of "Great Expectations" and next year, 2012, will be the bicentenary of Dickens' birth. Plenty will be going on in Rochester and tours will be in demand! Rochester has a Dickens' Festival every June and a Christmas Dickens' Festival in December too.

The tour on Sunday lasted about 2 1/2 hours as I included in the circular tour of the city a tour of Rochester Cathedral, the second oldest cathedral in England (after Canterbury Cathedral), the Castle bailey area and we also viewed some of the Guildhall too.

All the places, such as the Guildhall, Visitor Centre and Cathedral were very accommodating and made organising the trip a pleasure. I hope that once the American college return home I will have some positive feedback to add to my site. It was certainly an enjoyable tour for me. If you wish to book a guided tour of Rochester, please do not hesitate to contact me - Catherine Pitt, your personal, professional Tour Guide.

Rochester Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment